- How the Trial Works
- Before You Activate
- Your Plan and Billing
- Your Account Menu and Screen
- Account Administrators
- Changing Your Time Zone
- Merging Multiple Simplero IDs
- Password Security
- Submitting a Feature Request
- Submitting a Help Ticket
- Simplero Account FAQ
- Closing your Account
- Simplero Search and Filter Option
- Setting Brand Colors
- Places to Change Colors and Graphics
- Setting Labels
- Custom Colors in the WYSIWYG Editor
- The Notice Box
- Default Account Currency
- Default Account Email Contact Information
- Account Location and Language
- Account Terms
- Flex Plans
- Form Fields
- Creating Opt-In Form
- List opt-in forms
- Embedded Opt-In Forms
- Utilizing More Than One Opt-in Form
- Sign-up Forms on Your Simplero Site
- Viewing Custom Questions On Order Forms
- Track Parameters
- Tracking Pixels
- Defualt Opt-in Box on Order Forms
- Use Merge Fields to Register a Subscriber for a Webinar
- List & Contact Best Practices
- Creating a List
- List Confirmation
- Subscription: Auto-subscribe, Unsubscribe, Suspend, Resume
- Unengaged Subscribers and Contact Cleanup
- Exporting Contacts from my List
- Merging Duplicate Contacts
- Changing a Participants Email Address
- Seeing What Your Customers Sees
- Broadcast Overview
- Email Template Design
- Email Font Size
- Creating a Broadcast
- Send an Email to an Individual or Single Contact
- Resend a Broadcast
- Handle Replies to Mass Emails with Ease
- Expiring Links
- Insert Option for Broadcasts
- Magic Content URL
- Interpolation Keys
- Editing an Incorrect Link in a Broadcast
- Auto-publishing a Page in a Broadcast
- Using Emojis
- Subject Lines and Preheaders
- Newsletter Scheduler
- Email Deliveries
- About Open Rates for Broadcasts and Auto-Responses
- How the Sending Limit Works
- What Does the Secretive Options Mean
- Why Simplero Doesn't Do Fancy Graphic Emails
- Delaying Normal Broadcasts During an Email Funnel
- What Is the Spam Check on Emails?
- Editing the email footer
- Creating a Membership Site
- Membership Site Blog
- Membership Site Forum
- Membership Site Pages
- One Membership Site with Multiple Products/Classes
- Page Access
- Auto-publishing AKA Dripping pages
- Course Preview
- Membership Site Footer Navigation
- Membership Site Redirects
- Membership Site Theme
- Podcast Feature in Membership Sites
- Free and paid access to a single membership site
- Payment Processors (Setup and FAQ)
- Understanding the Manual Payment Processor
- Switching Payment Processor Mid-Stream
- Prices 101 - What You Need to Understand about Prices in Simplero
- Editing a Price
- Campaign and Discount Pricing
- Multiple Seat/User Pricing
- Secret Prices and Coupon Codes
- Global Coupons
- Subscription Prices
- Gift Pricing
- Price Restrictions
- Quoting Prices in Multiple Currencies
- Collecting Tax
- EU Vat
- Taxes on Multiple Currency Products
- Date Specific Installments
- Trial Period (Free or Discounted)
- Giving a Paid Customer a Free Month
- Free Products
- Participant Limit
- Collecting an Outstanding Balance
- Order Bumps
- Order Forms
- Order Form vs Freebie Link
- Why do my customers have to manually go in and pay the next installment/renewal of their subscription?
- Troubleshooting Payments and Refunds
- Participants 101 and Simplero IDs
- Purchases 101
- Editing a Purchase
- Charges & Payments Box in the Purchase
- Purchase Summary
- Moving a Purchase
- Adding a Charge to an Existing Purchase
- Editing a Charge Amount
- Manual Product Purchase
- Manual Credit Card Charge
- Manual Payment or Partial Payment Collection
- Editing and Resending an Invoice
- Refund Period
- Full and Partial Refunds
- Credit to Transactions
- Collecting Money Outside Simplero
- Stop Customers Subscription Payments and Keep their Access Open
- Migrating a Customer's Purchases from Another System
- How to Test the Purchase Process and Send Login Credentials
- Renewal Notifications
- Invoice Settings
- Invoices and Expenses
- Retrying Failed Charges
- All the Ways You Can Automate Things in Simplero
- Automations: Creating and Managing
- Starting an Automation
- Stopping, Pausing, Resuming an Automation
- Reentering or Starting Mid Automation
- Time Zone Specific Automations
- Advancing a Flow in an Automation
- Using Automations for Sales Funnels
- Duplicate Automations in Different Languages
- Email Library
- Triggers Overview
- Adding a New Trigger to an Existing List or Product
- Triggers on Link Clicks
- Triggers on Prices
- Global Triggers - Targeting and Re-Targeting Leads
- Working with Webhook Triggers
- Bulk Actions
- Global Snippets
- What is the Difference Between Automations and Auto-Responses?
- Can't access the content they purchased?
- Email Shows "Read" But not "Delivered"
- Troubleshooting Stripe payment issues
- Troubleshooting Email Addresses
- Troubleshooting Opt-in Form Issues
- Why is my E-mail not being delivered?
- Troubleshooting Forum Notifications
- Troubleshoot Price Issues
- Debug a Facebook Share
- When a PayPal Payment Doesn't Show in Simplero
- QuickPay Payment Doesn't Show in Simplero
- Troubleshooting Space Access (A deprecated feature)
- Troubleshooting Videos Not Playing
- Troubleshooting Upload issues
- Microsoft Says a File Has a Virus
- Spaces (deprecated)
- Space FAQ (deprecated)
- Space and Space Page Access (deprecated)
- Page Types (deprecated)
- One Space Multiple Products/Classes (deprecated)
- Free Spaces and Spaces with both Free and Paid content (deprecated)
- Multi-Language Spaces (deprecated)
- Postponing Access to a Space Until Later (deprecated)
- Adding a Subpage to Subpage (deprecated)
- Rearranging the Tabs/Pages/Subpages Within a Space (deprecated)
- Embedding Videos in Your Spaces (deprecated)
- Resurrect a Deleted Space (deprecated)
- Podcast Feature in Spaces (deprecated)
- FAQ Page in Your Space (Deprecated)
- Adding a Home Link to the Navigation Menu in Spaces (Deprecated)
- Deactivating Landing Pages (deprecated )
What is the Difference Between Automations and Auto-Responses?
Although there are some similarities, there are very important distinctions between Auto-Responders and Automations and it's worth taking the time to fully understand the differences.
So let's take a detailed look at the two features.
Auto-responders are always a series of emails. They are always sent based on the number of days since a contact has signed up to your email list or purchased your product.
Your first auto-responder is often a welcome email and is sent “0” days from sign-up; meaning it goes out immediately following their sign-up.
With auto-responders, you can also deliver content, either by
- Attaching it to the email or
- Using the auto-publish feature within a membership site.
This allows you to drip release a course through auto-responders.
And lastly, an auto-responder allows you to add a trigger to the email. This gives you the ability to create automatic actions triggered by that email being sent. For example, if you want to increase a contact’s lead score for each email in the series they receive you could add a trigger for that.
So what don’t auto-responders do?
The main thing you can’t do with auto-responders is to exclude contacts from an email or the trigger associated with the email. Auto-responders are all or nothing. If the auto-responder is active on the list it is active for all subscribers.
But wait, Automations to the rescue!
Automations are a series of action steps.
These action steps can be emails or actions that are triggered; such as increasing a lead score like we talked about earlier or adding a subscriber to a new list.
These action steps can be broken up by Wait steps.
Wait steps will determine when the action occurs. They can be based on the number of days since the automation began or based on the number of days since the previous action step, a specific date in time, a purchase date, a course start date, or even a custom form field value or your contact’s birthday!
The action step can also be a “Go to” step which allows a contact to move from one step to another and skip the ones between. Or a Stop step, ending the automation for a contact entirely.
These two steps are especially valuable when you want to exclude people from specific actions. Remember how I said you can’t exclude people from an auto-responder? Well, in an automation each step is customizable allowing you to tell the system to perform the step for each person, or only for contacts with or without a specific tag.
The last big thing you need to know is that automations are not connected to a single particular list or product in your account.
In order to get started into the automation, you will need to add the contact. You can do this manually, by using the auto-subscribe link or by connecting it to a list or product via a start trigger. This gives you a lot of flexibility and allows you to the series again and again across your account (unlike auto-responders which would need to be re-created in each location).
Now that you understand the difference between Auto-Responders and Automations. How do you decide which one is the right fit for you and your business?
It depends! (You knew I was going to say that, didn’t you?) Chances are that you will need both Auto-Responders and Automations, for different purposes.
A course drip released over weeks or months is a pretty straightforward set-up that you are likely not going to use repeatedly, which makes auto-responders the ideal place to set up your emails.
On the other hand, if you want to create a sales funnel that your leads can drop into from several different places - since the emails will be the same and you don’t want a contact to get the same email series twice - then an automation will be a much better fit.
But we can do better than that.
Here are three easy questions that will quickly help you decide the right fit for you every time…
- Is this the only list or product I want to receive these emails?
- Do I want everyone on the list to get these emails?
- Do I want the emails to go out based on the number of days after sign-up?
If you answered yes to all three of the above questions then you are looking to set up auto-responders. If you answered no to any of the questions then an automation is going to be a better fit for your goals.
Ready to set yours up? Check out these guides: