Sometimes people want to locate unengaged subscribers in order to reconnect with them (this is called retargeting) or because they want to perform some action on a group of contacts, like give them access to a membership site or update their lead score.
Often, people just want to clean up to get rid of old subscribers and dead leads who count as a contact in your Simplero account but who aren't likely to bring in future business.
This guide will show you how to locate them and some options for what to do with them after you have found them.
A few definitions may help.
- Unconfirmed - People who signed up for your list but did not click the link in your double opt-in confirmation email. They are not considered active subscribers to your list.
- Inactive - A list view that will include people who are unconfirmed, have not given you GDPR consent and who have asked to be 'do not contact'.
- Unengaged - A filter you can run to see who is not opening/clicking on your emails during a certain period of time.
Locate unengaged subscribers within a specific list
- Select Lists & Contacts from your Simplero Dashboard
- Select the Lists tab
- Select from your Lists you want to search
- Select the Subscribers tab
- Click the Filter option and select Unegaged
- Select your Date Range or click the hyperlink for This month, Last month, This quarter...
- Click the blue Apply button
You will now have a custom view of your unengaged subscribers for that list.
- In your filtered Unengaged list, you can select a subscriber and perform an action such as adding them to a new list, unsubscribe from a list, start in a re-engagement automation or give them a tag.
- Click the box next to their name and click the Select action drop-down list to perform an action
- Once you select an action, a pop-up screen will open and you can complete the action to perform
- If you would like to delete a subscriber,
- Check the box next to his/her name
- Click the Select action drop-down list and select the Add a tag option
- Enter a Tag or select a tag from your drop-down list and click the blue Add a tag button
- Go back to your Lists & Contact from your Simplero Dashboard
- Select the Tags tab
- Click on the Tag you've just created
- If you want to delete all the contacts in this tag, click the box at the top of the list of names to select all contacts
- Review the list prior to deleting.
- Click the Select action drop-down list
- Select Delete option and click OK to confirm your action to delete
Keep reading below for more information about how to perform actions on your unengaged subscribers.
You can also locate unengaged subscribers via a segment
It is always best practice to go with locating unengaged subscribes via the list option above, however, there may be a time when you'd prefer to see a particular segment such as the people who were unengaged for a specific series of emails.
- Select Lists & Contacts
- Select the Segments tab
- Click the blue + Create a segment button in the upper right corner
- In the Include section, click the white Add... button to select any lists or emails you want to remove unengaged subscribers from. For example, if it's for a specific Broadcast it will say "Broadcast - Broadcast Name - Sent to"
- In the Exclude section, click the white Add... button to select any lists or broadcasts you sent during the time period you are interested in. For example, if you want anyone who has not opened an email for the last 6 months then exclude any and all broadcasts sent in the last 6 months to the list in step 4. The exclusion options will read “Broadcast - Broadcast name - Opened”.
- Make sure to click the blue Save button
You will now have a segment of people who have not opened an email in the last 6 months or whatever time frame you were going for.
What to do with this Segment or Custom View
You have a few options for what to do next...
Perform an action
You can "perform an action” in 2 places
- If you are locating the unengaged subscribers through the list, then once you have that view, check the boxes next to their names and a drop-down menu will appear at the top where you can choose the action.
Remember that if you would like to delete them, you need to give them a tag and then go to Contacts - Tags and select the tag you just created. You will then click the box at the top of the list of names to select all the contacts in that tag and use the drop-down menu to delete them (see instructions above for "how delete subscribers"). Remberber to review the list prior to deleting.
- If you created the list via segment
- Go back to your Segments list and select a segment you want to perform an action
- Then look in the upper right corner, click the Perform an Action button
- The Trigger screen will appear and you can select the actions
You can set up an automation that sends an email or emails to this group, to retarget them for engagement. To do this, you will perform an action to put these people in a new list and start that new list in the automation.
If you want to unsubscribe them from your list you would perform an action and choose “Unsubscribe from List”. Select the list you searched to create your custom view, the list you added in the include section of the segment or the lists the broadcasts were sent to.
To clean up your inactive contacts as a group (without doing it by individual contact) you will follow the steps below.
This will only delete contacts who have no connection to any products, are not active in any automations, are not actively subscribed to any lists, do not have any tags and are not an affiliate.
Please read the next points carefully:
- It will delete people who are unconfirmed to your lists (if they meet all these other criteria as well).
- If you don't want unconfirmed contacts to be deleted, tag them with something before you run the cleanup and then do NOT remove tags during the cleanup process.
- You may want to first go through your lists and unsubscribe inactive users and remove them from your affiliate program.
- You cannot remove purchasers from products because of the need to keep that information for accounting purposes.
- If you have given someone access to a membership site directly (not through a product purchase), then the clean up will remove them ONLY IF they have none of the other affiliations mentioned above (no tags, no subscriptions, etc).
When you are ready,
- Select Lists & Contacts from your Simplero Dashboard
- Select the Contacts tab
- Select the white Cleanup... button in the upper right corner
- The Clean up contacts screen will appear and you can select the options to cleanup
- Select the yellow Untag inactive contacts button to remove tags if you want to do so
- Select the red Delete inactive contacts button to delete the inactive contacts. Note: This action will perform in the background as soon as you select this option.
This will reduce the number of contacts that count toward your allowed limit in Simplero.
You can also delete products, delete membership sites, delete tags and delete lists.