You can bring your own domain over to Simplero, but there are a few caveats.
What does that mean?
It means that your Simplero account will be on a domain name you own, such as shop.yourdomain.com rather than yourname.simplero.com.
Or that site will be available at a domain you own.
Or a landing page.
What are the caveats?
- You need to set this up yourself and you will need to know how to do DNS setup, or you need to have access to someone who does. It is not complicated, but if you have never done this before, it can feel a little frightening.
- DNS does not allow a CNAME on a root domain (e.g. mydomain.com). It has to be on a subdomain. The way to solve this is to make the CNAME on www.mydomain.com, and then configure mydomain.com to redirect (301) to www.mydomain.com, which will then be served by Simplero.
- We cannot serve secure pages over your custom domain. That is a technical limitation of how the web works. So your checkout pages and the login pages are always going to be on your simplero.com domain.
How to Set up DNS for Your Custom Domain
When using a custom domain with your Simplero account, you need to configure DNS for your domain yourself.
Here is what to do:
- Set up a CNAME record for your domain that points to the original version of your URL. So if your Simplero account is at "mastercoach.simplero.com", and your custom domain is "mastercoach.com", then create a CNAME record for "mastercoach.com" with the value "mastercoach.simplero.com".
- Now here is the problem: Most DNS hosts won't allow you to set up a CNAME record on the root domain (e.g. "mastercoach.com"). So what you need to do instead is use a subdomain, like www.mastercoach.com as your custom domain.
- Then you setup a CNAME record on www.mastercoach.com and point it to mastercoach.simplero.com.
But then, what about people who just enter "mastercoach.com" in their browser? You ask your DNS provider to forward all requests for "mastercoach.com" to "www.mastercoach.com". Most DNS providers can do that easily.
So now we have mastercoach.com redirecting to www.mastercoach.com, and www.mastercoach.com pointing to and being served by your Simplero account.
When you are all done setting up your DNS, go back to your account settings:
- Select Settings from your Simplero Dashboard
- Select the Change your URL tab
- In the Custom domains section, click the white +Add domain button
- Add your custom Domain, pointing it to your Simplero site or your Membership site
- Click the blue Save changes